Sunday, May 31, 2009

Night One In Boston

So the next step is for Sierra to meet the girls and meet the apartment. I am very hopeful and very confident that the roommates will fall in love with her and she will fall in love with the roommates. As I am moving my stuff in, Amy and her mom show up, so Sierra gets to meet the whole 19 Turner St. family all at once. As expected, she acts like an angel and all is well....Rebecca and Amy fall in love at first pet. Then again, how could you not?

After about an hour of relaxation couch time, Will heads over to grab me to start my first evening in Boston. We head to a place near Will's called Roggies. They apparently have huge bucket/pitcher things that are about 12-15 pints worth of beer. Unfortunately, the bartender says we have to have four people to order said pitcher. Odom tries that angle of being a big dude worth a couple (even though he drinks like half a dude) and i play the angle of being Irish and having a tolerance much past the average man, but neither sticks. So we stick to just ordering a couple pints. After Roggies, we head back to Will's place for a couple drinks before we go out. Will changes shirts about 4 times while we are there. He continues to ask me what I think of the shirts he changes into. I tell him this is a flawed strategy for multiples reasons: 1) I am color blind 2) On a scale from 0-10 on fashion sense, I rank somewhere in the .5 - 1.2 range. 3) I am not a homosexual. He finally settles on the same shirt that he wore to Roggies.....so I just wasted an hour of my 10 weeks in Boston talking fashion with a dude who didn't even end up changing.

We then walk out to the T-line to head to the Liberty where some of Will's works friends are gonna meet us. Will works with Amy, which is how I fell into the situation of living with these girls. They apparently have a work softball team in which Will claims he is the best player on the team. After he makes that claim he tells me about the least shocking thing I have ever heard: "We are 0-4." However, it is a co-ed team that has 20 girls and 8 guys and they like to go out afterwards, so I am going to watch on Tuesday. After a couple years as seeing eye grounder guy on the Cleveland Steamers, it might be nice to sneak on the field of a team where I look like the badass. Anyways, the T is about the oldest public transportation system I have ever seen, but it definitely gets the job done. You can go just about anywhere on this thing. We ride it over close to Boston Commons and decide to get out and walk. We walk through Boston Commons, which is nice, and then over to the Liberty. It is a new hotel/bar that is the hip new place to hangout in Boston. It is so hip that a bourbon and ginger is $9!! I walk up to the bar and order and bourbon and ginger, and the bartender looks at me and she says "you are from the south aren't you?" so i respond "is my accent that bad?" she says "no, but nobody orders bourbon here." what a sad town. how do you go to football games without bourbon? anyways, everytime i go to the bar for my B&Gs, she makes a different comment about my southerness...I am fine with this.

I get to meet a whole bunch of Will's work buddies. They are all super nice to me and really fun. Rebecca and one of our neighbors Laura show up shortly after we get there. After talking to Laura for a couple minutes, she tells me that she is from Alpharetta....small world. I decide at this point to show Rebecca how to swing dance which we procede to do in the middle of a very non-dancing bar. Sooo much fun. Russell, one of Will's friends from work, is trying to makeout with everybody, including me, so I figure we are getting close to heading out time. Then, close to closing time, I see Rebecca getting into it with one of the guys I had just met, so I decide it is probably time to leave. Rebecca, Laura, and myself hop in a cab and head towards 19 Turner St. All in all, a great first night in Beantown! I can't wait to see what Saturday brings

No comments:

Post a Comment