Sunday, May 31, 2009

Arriving In Boston

Prologue: I decided to go ahead and blog my summer in the North for a couple reasons. 1) I want to remember the places I go and the experiences I have so that if I end up here full time, I will know what I liked and what I didn't like. 2) All the KFBS kids who are from Boston are gonna want to live vicariously through me for the summer, so I figure this is easier than calling them everyday to let them know what I did the night before. 3) I liked blogging the international trip and got some good feedback, so I figured I would try my hand at it one more time. This might just end up exposing me as an amateur, but I figured it was worth the role of the dice.

I might as well start with my tribulations in getting ready to leave the wonderful South. After taking my car in to get fixed and hearing that it would have to stay overnight, I get a call from Officer Joe Duncan that my car has been broken into while at the shop. This frustrates me for a couple reasons. Clearly, I don't like my stuff being rooted through, but more than anything, it is just another thing to deal with while I am trying to both pack for Boston while also leaving my stuff in a manner that can be moved to 114 South Roberson/Awesome Street. In a both lucky and unfortunate way, I don't have anything that this particular robber wanted. I am actually so poor that broke burglers don't even want my shit. In my back seat there were about 8 hanging shirts, but my fashion sense is crappy enough that this guy looked at the shirts, decided they were hideous, and moved on. The fixed cost of actually breaking my window was already sunk, and the marginal cost of grabbing my clothes is minimal, yet he found them worth less than that. Thank you. In an ironic (not the right use of that word, but who does actually use it correctly?) twist, my Turkish track suit was in there. While the purchase price of said track suit was 28 lira, the value to me is in the area of 1,000 lira. I am very glad that it was not an Ottoman that broke into my car.....or the great Muhammad Ali of the Muhammad Ali Mosque. Float like a camel, sting like a glass of Nile water. Long story kinda short, I got my car all fixed for about 700 US and hit the road on Thursday morning for D.C.

After two days, and $30 in tolls, of driving, I landed in Boston mid-afternoon on Friday. I was met at the apartment by one of my roommates, Rebecca. Rebecca works for Kraft, and was a cheerleader at UNC. It is not quite doing it justice to say that she is very passionate about UNC. I quickly moved all my stuff into my room without organizing it as I was tired from driving and just wanted to relax on the couch and have a Sam Adams (when in Boston). We of course had big plans for the evenings....not sure where the night will take us

No comments:

Post a Comment