Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Work and UNC Folks Visit

Work continues to go really well. I find myself extremely busy which tends to make the days fly by. It is a perfect situation in that I am very busy, but not overworked. I leave at decent hours, and my commute is an easy trip against traffic across the turnpike. The work I have been doing has also been very interesting, and I feel like I am learning a lot. I have recently switched from working with Josh to being under another guy within the same team. I am anxious about this as I loved working with Josh, but hopefully I will find the new assignment just as rewarding. And hopefully, Staples is enjoying me as well.

This past weekend, I had the wonderful pleasure of hosting Jim and Joe from Philly and New York, respectively. In addition, Odom was hosting Craven, Josh Glass, Hiegl, and Clarke from the ATL. So all in all, a great crew for a wonderful Independence Day weekend in Boston. Joe and Jim rode the train in and were scheduled to arrive in South Station around 12:45 am. As a result, it gave me time to head to Marblehead for a Great Gatsby-like party up by the coast. It was great to see the cousins (Charlie/Monica & Katie) and of course it was great to watch the old people put away wine while ripping on the tax code. Having to make the drive later, I had nowhere near enough wine to handle the playful flirting these ladies put out there. All in all, a lot of fun, but after a couple hours there, I had to hit the road to meet up with the fellow KFBSers.

Since these guys arrived so late the first night, we just hit up a small pub for a drink to catch up a bit and get the ball rolling. After a pint, we headed back to the apartment to hit the sack and get some rest for a great weekend ahead. Friday morning, we woke up and hopped on the bus to head towards the Freedom Trail. I was very excited for this, as I had been looking forward to seeing some of the historic pieces of Boston. Along the trail, we got to see the graves of some of the true American heroes (Sam Adams, John Hancock, Paul Revere.....) along with some of the amazing places that the Sons of Liberty and other patriots met hundreds of years ago. The only thing along the trail we didn't get to see was the U.S.S. Constitution as there was predictably a huge line for that tour. At the end of the tour, we grabbed a pint and some food at Dick's and then I got myself my first Boston t-shirt (complete with a shamrock on it).

After the tour, we headed back to relax and have some drinks at my apartment. 7s,11s, and doubles predictably broke out as dice games cannot be avoided. We packed as many as we could into 19 Turner Street and good times were had by all. Without the "we must go out girls" (Rebecca and Amy) around, everybody was content to enjoy each others company and hilarity ensued.

The next morning, we got up early and headed down to the Fenway area. After watching the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest, we decided we might as well investigate the Red Sox ticket situation. We were able to secure some pretty good seats, and we headed into the game. We watched the Red Sox lose a close one, 3-2, in what was absolutely gorgeous New England weather. Also, during the game, I was able to secure myself a John Smoltz shirt, which was a huge victory in and of itself. After the game, we headed to Bleacher Bar underneath the stadium, and I fit right in with my Red Sox Smoltz shirt on.

Being pretty beat after a long day outside, we headed back to my apartment to shower up and chill out for a bit. Later on, the Odom crew headed over for some drinks and then to head out on the town. Brighton Beer Garden was the spot for part of the crew, and part of the crew stayed in. Those of us that went out had a blast. Overall, a great Independence Day!

It was so nice to get an Atlanta connection and a UNC connection in the same weekend. Of course I am loving Boston, but at the same time the mind still drifts to Atlanta and Chapel Hill, so it was great to see those guys. Also, in getting to talk to Jim and Joe about our upcoming residential situation in Chapel Hill, I am definitely excited to get back and settled into our new house. At the same time, I know I will be sad when this experience is over, as I am having a blast up here! Who knows what comes of it all. All I know is I am soaking it up for now.

Playing a lot of tennis up here too. Although they put me at the highest level, and while I have had very competitive matches....I am not winning too many. Might request to move down one spot, but at the same time I do feel that it is helping my game. not sure....just want to keep playing! Lastly, Sierra is doing well. She struggled to get settled at first, but I think she is into a routine, and I have been taking her to the park everytime we get a dry day. She is such a great companion to have up here, that is for sure!

Pictures to come later
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment